Friday 15 March 2013

Super Healthy Oatmeal Cookies!

Even more about cookies! I've found another delicious easy and healthy alternative to those munchies that we all get, this time they can be as simple as two ingredients! Bananas and oatmeal.. that's it! And if you want to make them even tastier, throw in some dried fruit pieces!

In the recipe I linked above she makes a batch in the microwave and the oven. I tried both, and preferred the oven much more, and left them in for 5 minutes extra. (I want crunch!)
 
The cookies I made the first day (I used craisins) were quite chewy all around, and reminded me more of some nutrition bars. At first I wasn't super impressed (sugar-tooth as I am) but 2 minutes later I was reaching for another one, and another one.. and another. So even though they weren't the cookie experience I was expecting, they were still a yummy, yet light alternative to regular oatmeal cookies.






I ended up making a few variations of this recipe (no photos :( ) to see if I could add  a little bit more flavor and to make them have that regular cookie crunch. The variations make the cookies slightly unhealthier, but these still remain a crazy healthy cookie option.

First variation*: 
Banana 1/2
Oatmeal 1/2 cup
Craisins
Cinnamon 1/2 tsp
Nutmeg 1/4 tsp
Vanilla essence  1/4 tsp
Coconut oil 1/2 tbs

These turned out great! They added just that little bit of extra flavour and crunch, while still tasting healthy.

Second variation*:
Banana 1/2
Oatmeal 1/2 cup
Chocolate chips (dark)
Cinnamon 1/2 tsp
Nutmeg 1/4 tsp
Vanilla essence  1/4 tsp
Coconut oil 1/2 tbs
Honey 1 tsp
Cocoa Powder  2 tsp

And even tastier! Well obviously, chocolate!! Nice crunch, sweet flavor, and they are still a much healthier option to regular cookies.

So go give these cookies a go, and experiment!

*Note: my variations were made from one batch of dough split in half. So if you decide to make both, you can just leave the chocolate chips, craisins or whatever variation you do for last.

No comments:

Post a Comment